Monday, January 14, 2013

starting the journey without a road map


Welcome to my blog! This is my second attempt at a blog. The first one I quit after six months when I found the images I posted online were accessible through Google. It freaked me out a little. Besides I found the content of my blog—it was about art—too narrow. So I gave a long hard thought about what I wanted to write about and came up with this: I will write about whatever I feel like writing about.

Beginning the first of January I got involved with writing small stones. A small stone is a small written description of a closely observed moment. It can be of a few words or a few sentences. The point is to take a moment of each day and examine it closely. Look at the details. We often don’t do such things. I would do it off and on and post my little observances on Facebook but I was never very disciplined about it. I want to be more disciplined so I took on the challenge to write one small stone a day. I’ve enjoyed it so much that I decided to take on another challenge; I will write a weekly blog. It may contain my stones, or my doodles or even some snapshots of my wanderings. I’m not sure yet. I am only at the start of this journey.

So to start things off I am posting an old stone of sorts. I wrote it some time ago but I still like it.

It always takes a couple of turns to get my car into the stall at the bakery. It is marked for small cars but I have a big car. It fits my big car. It fits if I pull in close enough to brush the daisies that haven’t been weeded in a long time with my bumper. Weeding is not a priority: making bread is. So is the making of cake and chocolate. Weeds don’t feed. They don’t pay the bills. People don’t come for the plants. They come for the bread. They come for the vanilla slices and the Black Forest cake, the Rueben sandwiches and potato salad. They come for the rye bread and the coffee. That is what they come for. They don’t mind the weeds, and they don’t mind the parking stalls marked for small cars.

So that’s it. I’ve made a start. I need to learn again all the technical bits that make a blog look good and bloggie, but I’m looking forward to that challenge. As I said, this is the start of a journey. Where it will end and what turns it will make are yet unknown. I’m doing this without much of a map.

4 comments:

  1. I applaud your new start! I love your "old stone" and look forward to your new ones and following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is an exciting time for me. I really appreciate your support.

      Delete
  2. Just found our blog from Laura's This is where I go mail art project. I too love your 'old stone'! The words flow quite nicely one after the other.

    I've actually done the same thing as you and ditched my old blog haha, fresh starts are always good. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa. Sometimes one just has to ditch what no longer works and try a new formula. I still don't know where this blog is going. I take it week by week. Good luck on your new blog. I'll look for it.

      Delete